Forum rules - please read before posting.

Assigning Speech actions to specific players

edited February 2019 in Technical Q&A

In a game that supports multiple players, is there a some way to specify which player is the actual speaker? Otherwise it just says "Speaker: Player" once text is gathered which isn't much help when it comes to assigning the correct voice actor.

First I thought this could be achieved by assigning the player prefab as the speaker, but then the text isn't shown as subtitles to the actual player but in the upper right corner instead.

So the only way I found so far is to place a comment on each Speech action but this is tedious and error prone.

If there currently isn't a way to do this, might I suggest adding a drop down list where the player can be selected (from a list of the defined players) to the Play speech action node? This could be visible only if the "Player line?" is checked and the game defines multiple players.

Thanks!

Comments

• It should be that assigning the player prefab directly is enough. However, only one Player can be active / present in the scene.

If the line is played and a different Player is currently active, the line will play but not associated with any character - which I'm guessing is why the subtitles are appearing in the corner.

Where is the intended character at this moment? Is the correct Player prefab itself present in the scene, or is their "Associated NPC" present instead - since a different Player character is actually active?

• Ah, thanks. The problem was that I was updating the actions through script and only specified the speaker, not the constantID - works now :)