Forum rules - please read before posting.

JobTempAlloc

My first time on the forum, so hello everyone!

I've been working on my game with Unity 2017.3.1f1, but recently I've been testing 2017.4.24f1. (the only motivation was the recent security update, otherwise I was fine)

Everything works exactly the same, except for the fact that on 2017.4.24f1 I keep getting, while running the game on the editor, the following warning:

"Internal: JobTempAlloc has allocations that are more than 4 frames old - this is not allowed and likely a leak"

(this is the full warning, no more details)

It happens periodically, sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row, and randomly, in the sense that there's nothing I can do that will always cause the warning to appear. In fact it can happen with the game running but idle. Also, I'm finding that if I wait long enough the warning will pop up on any location of the game.

However, I have noticed 2 things:

1. It happens more frequently wherever I have more polygons/characters on camera.

2. It doesn't happen if I disable shadows.

I don't notice any difference in performance compared with 2017.3.1f1, and I don't notice anything unusual with memory usage whenever these warnings appear.

AC version is the current one, but I first noticed the issue while still using AC 1.65.

Is this something to be concerned about?

And in case it has nothing to do directly with AC, would it be safer to stick with 2017.3.1f1?

Thank you.

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @vvrc.

There's no reference to AC in the warning text, so my hunch is that this is an issue with Unity. Does it appear to have any adverse effect on the game?

A search of the Unity forums turns up this reply from the Unity devs:

These warnings are from anything using JobTemp allocations. The engine is also using such allocations internally, so if you are getting warnings about it without using jobs in C# it is most likely a bug in the Unity C++ code and the only thing you can really do about them is to file bug reports.

Unless you're involving some other code/asset, this may well be a spam message that has to be fixed by Unity. It may even be caused by a built-in package such as PostProcessing.

• I really don't notice any effect on the game at all, apart from the warnings themselves! Nothing on the builds as well, everything fine.

There's no other code or assets involved, so it does look like a Unity thing.

Still, I'm leaning to continuing the project on 2017.3.1f1 where there are no warnings and monitoring this issue on the Unity forums. Even because it's easier to migrate the project from an older Unity to a newer one than the other way around (feel free to tell me if you think this is a bad idea though!...)

Thanks, Chris.