Forum rules - please read before posting.

Monobehaviour in Action Script

edited April 2019 in Technical Q&A

Hey,

we're trying to build an analytics script to post replies from a questionnaire we built as a game with Adventure creator.

Apologies, I'm not a coder but have someone who is actually quite good in coding but couldn't work out how to get monobehaviour working as AC Action.

We get the following error:
NullReferenceException
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour.StartCoroutine (IEnumerator routine) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/MonoBehaviour.bindings.cs:87)
AC.ActionQ1.Run () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionQ1.cs:118)

We did get it working as a custom script in menus but this limits the ability to have follow up actions after a button press. that's why we hoped to get this working as an AC Action.

We ran into a problem that we'd need monobehaviour class to post the result via yield return www. SendWebRequest

**That's what we try to use: **

private IEnumerator SaveData()
    {

Debug.Log("Start of Coroutine");

WWWForm form = new WWWForm();
        form.AddField("name", "XXX");
        form.AddField("q1", parameterStrings[0]);
        UnityWebRequest www = UnityWebRequest.Post("http://WEBLINK.php", form);
        yield return www.SendWebRequest();
        if (www.downloadHandler.text == "0")
        {
            Debug.Log("Section data saved");

}
        else
        {
            Debug.Log("Save Failed. Error #" + www.downloadHandler.text);
        }
    }//end of savedata

**We tried to build it in as monobehaviour class: **

namespace AC
    {
public class MyClass : MonoBehaviour
{
        void Start()
        {

}
}

LATER IN THE SCRIPT

MyClass mc = new MyClass();
        mc.StartCoroutine(SaveData());

if (!isRunning)
        {
            isRunning = true;
            return 0f;
        }
        else
        {
            isRunning = false;
            return 0f;
        }

I hope I was able to make it understandable.

_We just need to send results from menu buttons as string via SendWebRequest to our DB. We couldn't work it out as AC Actions seem not to like monobehaviour. _

I'm happy to post the full scrirpt but it has 320 lines. Might be a bit long for in here.

Any to have an idea?

Greetings.

Comments

• edited April 2019

Actions and MonoBehaviours are totally separate - applying the principles in the latter won't apply to the former.

You can, however, call MonoBehaviour functions from within ActionLists - no need to create a custom Action. The Object: Call event and Object: Send message Actions can be used to run Unity component methods.

It's also possible to hook into the OnMenuElementClick custom event to script the behaviour of a button click without ActionLists. Set the Button's Click type to Custom Script, and then place code akin to the following on a new C# MB script in your scene:

using UnityEngine;
    using AC;

public class MenuEventTest : MonoBehaviour
    {

private void OnEnable ()
        {
            EventManager.OnMenuElementClick += My_OnClick;
        }

private void OnDisable ()
        {
            EventManager.OnMenuElementClick -= My_OnClick;
        }

private void My_OnClick (Menu menu, MenuElement element, int slot, int mouseButton)
        {
            Debug.Log ("Button " + element.title + " inside Menu " + menu.title + " was clicked");
        }

}

Where you can then check the titles of menu/element to determine if the correct Button was clicked.

For more on menu scripting and custom events, see the Manual chapters of the same names.

• Hey Chris, awesome. We'll give it a try. Thank you very much.