Forum rules - please read before posting.

Dropping Object at Mouse Click Point

edited May 2019 in Technical Q&A

I referenced this: https://adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/6680/how-do-i-create-an-object-at-the-position-where-i-click-on-screen

I modified the script and have gotten it to mostly function, except that my worldPosition keeps returning to 0.0,0.0,0.0, no matter where on the hotspot I click. Here is the code:

using UnityEngine;
using AC;

public class PlaceCalc : MonoBehaviour
{
    public Hotspot hotspot;
    public GameObject myCalcGameObject;

private void Awake()
    {
        EventManager.OnHotspotInteract += CalcAppear;
    }

public void CalcAppear(Hotspot hotspot, Button button)
    {
        if (hotspot == this.hotspot)
        {
            Vector3 worldPosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(Input.mousePosition);
            worldPosition.z = hotspot.transform.position.z;
            Debug.Log(worldPosition);
            GameObject go = Instantiate(myCalcGameObject);
            go.transform.position = worldPosition;
        }
    }
}

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• I should add that, in addition to this, I need this script to only take effect when using a particular (Cellular Calculator) inventory item. Right now it's firing every time I interact with the hotspot.

• I transferred this to an action, so I've taken care of the inventory aspect. But I'm still getting 0.0,0.0 for my x and y coordinates here too.

• This is a Unity question, since the problematic code relies on Input.mousePosition - not anything AC-related.

You likely need to pass the z-depth between the hotspot and the camera in ScreenToWorldPoint, rather than force the z-position, i.e.:

float dist = Vector3.Distance (hotspot.transform.position, Camera.main.transform.position);
    Vector3 screenPosition = new Vector3 (Input.mousePosition.x, Input.mousePosition.y, dist);
    Vector3 worldPosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint (screenPosition);

See Unity's docs for more.

• The problem was that I was using Perspective projection instead of Orthographic. It's fixed now!