Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible BUG? - Interaction vs ActionList Component Clash

Not sure if this is a bug or a possible feature I don't understand. For a while, some of my Action List GameObjects were showing only an Engine: Wait node when clicking on the ActionList icon to view, but their Inspector windows still showed all the nodes I had been adding.

I have only now realised why - Seems that some had both the Interaction AND ActionList Components in their Inspectors. The Interaction Components must have been added later (somehow) and held only the Engine: Wait Nodes whilst at the same time the ActionList Components held all the nodes I had added. So the ActionList Editor was only displaying from the Interaction Component. This is remedied by removing one or the other components, but I do have some questions about this:

Is this by design, so a GameObject can hold 2 ActionLists?
Doesn't the Interaction Component supersede the ActionList one anyway since it has Cutscene options?
Should I be using one over the other?

Comments

• Each ActionList type has its own purpose - there's no superceding one over the other, since which one is "correct" will be down to the context.

Outside of edge-case scenarios (e.g. two Triggers attached to the same collider), a GameObject should generally only have one ActionList attached - and the ActionList Editor window will only refer to the first one it finds. I shall see about adding some kind of Console message if the Editor is opened on a GameObject that has multiple ActionLists attached.

• Could help the next n00b in line after me :)

• To correct myself: the ActionList Editor only opens for the first-found when clicking the Hierarchy's "node" icon. You can still open the Editor for any ActionList via the top of its Inspector, regardless of how many others are attached.