Forum rules - please read before posting.

Trying to do a 3DS port but the device only supports Unity 5.6.6f2 as the newest version of unity.

SFGSFG
edited September 2019 in Technical Q&A

Just got back from Seattle Indie Six (PAX related even, that was on Sunday) after winning booth space with From Beyond Prologue, pretty cool experience having hundreds of people play my game :)

I now have a 3DS dev kit, which supports Unity, however, the newest Unity it supports is 5.6.6f2, which is the version right before 2017.1 came out. I know AC supported that version back in the day, just curious where I could download the older version of the plugin? Did a search of the forums and saw that someone else asked this, posted here and then was told to PM with some kind of order number.

I'll be happy to provide whatever is needed. I'm aware I'll probably have to re-build the game and fix the inevitable save issue it has with some consoles (from my understanding it'll depend on a few factors, but most likely it will be just altering where saved files are placed), but the first step is for me is to just get a test up and running in Unity 5.6.6f2 by grabbing that older version of AC.

I'm very excited to see this thing up running on a 3DS/2DS even if it is a download-only title.

William

Comments

• I'd delete this is possible. I figured out that it can run in Unity 2017, it was just buried on the Nintendo Dev forums. It's weird that they would push 5.6.6f2 still as their default download.

• Update, so I have the game kind of running on the 3DS now. That is the game launches and everything seems fine, but the hotspot in the scene is off. I have no idea why yet. No matter the size of the hot spot, the same area on the scene is the only part that reacts to being pressed... I'll look more into this tomorrow (worked on it all day today).

So close... 3DS + AC + Unity = huge potential. I'm surprised how close I am to having this whole thing work... But not quite sure why it's not.

• 2D or 3D? I think I'd need to see a visual explainer to illustrate the issue.

Do note that the latest AC release should still work with 5.6.6 - at least, the scripts are compatible if you only import those.

• 2D, I'll be digging into this all day. I'll also send some images before EOD.

• Ok spent another day hammering on this. I rebuilt the first stage in N3DS's version 2017.2 and the hotspots worked fine. Interesting.

Now, this could have something to do with me having to gut out the video support in the engine. My game has no video cut scenes (just in engine animation sequences) and the 3DS does not support video and the inclusion of video support causes compiling to 3DS CIA format to fail. So I went through again commented out all Video support and once that was done, it compiled fine and worked on the 3DS. Of course, there are a few tweaks I'm going to have to make, but hotspots are working now.

I'll be back if I hit another wall, but I'm definitely making progress. :)