Forum rules - please read before posting.

Exit Cursor

edited November 2019 in Technical Q&A

I have a 2D adventure game with Walk, Look, Use, and Talk cursors. Is there a "best practice" way to have the Walk Cursor change to an "Exit" cursor when viewing inspection scenes?

(I apologize if this is a duplicate)

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @JohnnyStowaway.

Generally you'll want to create a new "Exit" cursor as an Interaction cursor (in the same way "Look", "Use" etc are defined).

How exactly are inspection scenes exited in your game? If you exit by clicking a Hotspot, you can map that Hotspot's "Use interaction" icon to this new "Exit" cursor.

If your game typically has multiple interaction types available for Hotspots, you can check Single 'Use' interaction? in the Hotspot's Inspector to have this Hotspot work as it would when your Settings Manager's Interaction method is set to Context Sensitive - i.e. the mouse cursor can change automatically to the "Exit" cursor, and single-clicking the Hotspot will run the interaction. This is the same behaviour as the 2D Demo's "Exit" Hotspots on either side of the scene.

If you instead exist the scene by clicking a Menu, you can check Change cursor when over? in the Button element's properties in the Menu Manager. You'll then be able to select "Exit" from the list of Interaction icons listed in your Cursor Manager, and the cursor will then change to that when hovering over the Button.

• The Single Use Interaction over Hotspot achieves the exact effect I was looking for.

Thank you, Chris, for the quick and thorough response!