Forum rules - please read before posting.

DialogueList disappearing when a background actionlist finishes

Hello! I'm having an issue where the dialogue box is disappearing. It seems to be being caused by other background action lists finishing.

• These action lists are set to run in background and simply stop on finish.
  • There are multiple copies of this action list running at a time.
  • The final action called in these action lists is for an NPC to move along a path.

I've tried looking for what's calling this in the code and not having any luck. Any help would be really appreciated, as it's important for me to allow NPCs to perform background actions while dialogue continues

Some additional info:

• Using direct control
  • Using the default conversation menu with no settings changed
  • Gif of the issue occurring:

Thanks!

Comments

• Okay so this is actually nothing to do with action lists finishing as I've managed to replicate with no other action lists running in scene. I have got no idea what's causing this to happen now. I'll try and diagnose further and provide some more helpful information.

• edited March 2020

Looking into this further it appears to be being caused by the NPCs that are following paths in the background. When they reach a node point it is cancelling the dialogue list.

There are no actions on the path node points, only wait times.

Side Note: Latest version of AC and Unity 2019.2.3f1

• So! Upon further investigation this isn't to do with nodes at all, but walk to marker. Once an NPC reaches their marker something is being called that is cutting the dialogue. I would remake this whole topic but looks like you can't delete a post.

• edited March 2020

Looks like it's being caused by any wait being called in a background action, whether it's wait until finished or just the straight Engine: Wait action. This is really not ideal for me, as I have NPCs having the odd wander.

I would just set them to follow a path, but I need them to pathfind to the first node, so I have to use a marker to do this.

• Ah! Could it be because the conversation is in wait until finished mode, and the other action lists are calling for it to finish when their own wait function ends?

• I can't comment too much without seeing the actual setup.

Are you able to provide steps (or better yet: a test scene) that clearly shows the issue? This sounds very specific / unique to your setup, so I'll need to know the exact details you have.

Try making a test scene with basic "Capsule" NPCs and the bare-minimum ActionLists needed to cause the issue. Create a .unitypackage of it, your Managers, and any other asset files necessary and PM it to me. Please also let me know your AC/Unity version numbers, and I'll see if I can learn what's going on.

• Thanks Chris. I'll do that for you when I get a moment this week. In the meantime I'm using the latest version of AC and Unity 2019.2.3f1.