Forum rules - please read before posting.

Anyone using Final IK with AC?

Comments

• That's weird, you are using Fuse characters as well, right? I have pretty much the same setup  and my characters climb stairs effortlessly. They found it difficult to climb stairs before I enabled "Is Kinematic" but after I did and after I added the Grounder FBBIK, they work just fine. Are you using any additional locomotion system, perhaps?
  • Nah - just using Mecanim.  I can look at the Grounder settings on the capsule collider + rigidbody version and see if there's an inconsistency or something.  Right now, the character just walks straight through stairs.
  • Hi guys, I just purchased Final IK and it has really amazing results. I hope it can be implemented in AC, I just put a request in Engine development because at this moment I can't make it work (however I just bought it so who knows about later on..)
  • Check earlier in this thread - I posted a custom script for running Final IK interactions from AC. I'll do more work in this area when I have the time - probably after next week.
  • Hi Snebjorn, I get a null reference in the beginning of the game when I use it with AC (this is not even with any interaction running but already at the start in the game): If I use Final IK with my character already in the scene (not as a prefab but as a normal gameobject) Final IK works but if I use it with Adventure Creator and spawn my character as a prefab with all components I get an error message from Final IK:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    RootMotion.Demos.InteractionSystemTestGUI.OnGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/_DEMOS/FBBIK/Scripts/InteractionSystemTestGUI.cs:27)

• To be more clear: the object that I try with Final IK is also a prefab. So I dont understand what the nullreference is about.
  • Ok, I understand what happens now: During runtime the character gets an constant ID (which is not there in the prefab) then the interaction system is spawned two times without the object in it. Why does this happen?
  • Ok, now the character has a constant ID in the prefab but it is still happening. It seems like IK Rootmotion doesnt understand there is a prefab and spawns it again without finding the object... some help please?
  • Ok, the spawning problem etc is all solved: I appeared to have two characters that where equal and mixed them - completely my bad! But what remains is the prefab problem: I dont have error messages again but I have to place the prefab in the scene during runtime to make it work, otherwise my character cant find the object, and I did everything I know of: applying the prefab, aswell as the character prefab and drag it in the project folder, it wont work.
  • Update: it works! For all people that want to make it work: Use the script from Snjeborn: place it in the Action folder. Then in Unity: put the scripts Fully biped and interaction System on the character (not GUI system), then you are good to go. Go to Custom : Final IK : Run interaction and put the object in the action. And in the object the right affector (I think). Ok, happy it works!! :):)
  • Glad to hear you got it working - I've been out of action over the weekend trying to recover from a party on Friday ...
  • @Snejborn

What's happened you guys abandoned this ?

You told us you'd provide the work of the head turning look at action with final ik

Us noobies here are relaying on amazing support :-B

Great work and thanks for sharing.

I really do wish @ChrisIceBox will make some integration smoother for us AC relaying folks.

I'm about to start trying to implement final ik with AC for walking on stairs and interactions.

• No, not abandoned as such - it's just that I've been busy working on other stuff!  :bz

Will return to it soon, once I have fresh character models in my game, which I expect to happen early next week.
  • @kici: If you have suggestions, I'm all ears.
  • @ChrisIceBox if I find a solution I'll certainly share it.

So far the only starting point we have is the script provided by Snebjorn in page 2.

I'm certain most people will agree that having IK is important In a game, especially for ones with stairs and other interactions.

After some research I believe final ik is the best asset out there for that particular category.

I hope other people who have AC and final IK will contribute here so we can have something solid for all future users.

Snebjorn looking forward to next week-ish [-O<
  • @kici - the best advice I would say would be go to through the Final IK tutorials:

I was able to get my characters using stairs with the Character Controller component instead of RigidBody + Capsule Collider components.
  • @themightyzq

Thanks I read your posts before, I'm yet to include all final ik stuff on my character and watch their videos.

Unfortunately for my game I need full physics and Rigidbody therefore cannot make use of the character controller.

Thanks though appreciated.
  • Well, walking on stairs and slopes is handled out of the box by Final IK via the Grounder system, no AC integration needed.

It's really just a matter of setting up the animation controllers for the best effect with Final IK - and choosing your camera angles to avoid feet on stairs as much as possible! :D

If I had the money, I'd hire someone to work only on stair climbing animations  ...
  • Well, it is true that a lot of things come out of the box with Final IK, but not everything. For example: I still don't know how to use only the head with Final IK in interactions. And there is also some time issue problem that I couldn't really work around. If you want exact timing and multiple interactions with Final IK in AC it's not that easy really. What would be great is if AC could handle Final IK in a way that it could be used as a real retargeting tool, and that actions from Final IK could be really triggered precisely through AC, that would be more then amazing.
  • @PurpleShine: Calling Final IK commands via custom AC Actions is already possible.  Though Final IK is well-regarded, I'm still of the opinion that AC should provide functions that allow the integration of any such asset (see the Motion Control tutorial, for example).

When you talk about using the head in interactions, what functions could be added to make this more possible (though still in keeping with the above principles)?  Would an e.g. "GetHeadTarget" function in the Char script be useful?