Forum rules - please read before posting.

Gamepad stuff

Hi,

I have been playing with controller set-up (direct control), put my collides down, set up input and all is good.

But there are a few things i cant quiet fathom.

a) when i go near a door, the text is disaplyed centre of the screen, where the mopuse cursor is (still there as not turned off)

b) pressing inventroy button, i cant get the interaction to switch from the player control, to an item select in the inventroy. Any ideas?

Thanks

K

Comments

• a) Which text? Hotspot text?  Check the position setting of the Menu that this text is displayed in.

b) To control a menu with a controller, set the Menu to "Pause when enabled".
  • Thanks for the fast response Chris, will take a look in a mo :)

K
  • edited February 2016
    Hi,

Only now got round to looking at this, all is good except the inventory controls with controller.

The pause menu works and can be controlled when game pause, which is good.

a) The inventory button works (shows it), but doesnt take focus, the player still moves around instead. Cant use pause gameplay for that since this pauses everything, music etc. And even when i did, the inventory still didnt take focus anyway.

Update: the pause game option will work, didnt think it was working due to it not actually highlighting the first slot, but the arrow to shift through inventory. This still wont work though, due to the pause not allowing for examining of items (since its paused, which includes any anims running, and sounds.)

Update question:
    a1) how can i get it to run in background and focus to the inventory
    a2) how do i start the first item in the inventory to be selected and not the left arrow? 

b) When i click an npc, the menu option pops up, again i cant select an option (maybe same issue), player moves instead, and also, i cant seem to cancel out of that pop up interaction menu. talk and examine follows me round everywhere. 

I think if not for these two things. i'd be set :)

Thanks

K

• a) You can disable player movement by using the Player: Constrain Action, or disable the movement and interaction systems completely by using the Engine: Manage systems Action.

Being able to choose the first-selected Element is a Menu property only available to Unity UI-based Menus.  However, I would recommend switching to Unity UI anyway, as being able to navigate UI menus with a controller is more reliable anyway.

b) You're going to have to explain that one in more detail.  Please post a new thread with screenshots of everything involved.
  • Hey,

a) Yeah, i know i can disable the player movement, but that still doesn't make the inventory take focus for selecting items...

b) What I mean is: with mouse and keyboard and click on hotspot, interaction options pop up (talk, examine etc) with gamepad selected, this menu dont take focus, so i cant select one. it just stays there, and cant exit this menu either then.
  • Again, to control AC menus with a controller, the game must be paused.  If you want to control a Menu during gameplay, change it's source to Unity UI.
  • Ahh i see what your saying now. I shall change over systems
  • Gamepad buttons are also in-game remappable. Furthermore, if you decide to change the default keyboard mappings, that's on you to worry about, not the author of the mapping. (That being said, you probably shouldn't be posting any Steam Controller KB+M mappings if your own in-game KB+M mappings are anything other than default.)