Forum rules - please read before posting.

Newbie questions Assets, Screen Size and font

Hi,
I am a total newbie here and have a few questions. But first of all, thank you for some great tutorials!
I am creating a 2D game for iOS

1. I will need to buy assets for Notifications, countdown clock, alarm and a progress bar. Are all assets I can buy in the Assets Store compatible with Adventure Creator or how do I know if they are/aren't?

2. I have a background which is 1024x768 but I can not get the camera to set correctly when I press play, blue edges appears. Is there a camera setting menu somewhere where I can set it to be 1024x768? Is there somewhere I should tell AC that it is for iOS and set the screen size?

3. Is it possible to change the font?

Thank you very much.

//Mette

Comments

• I figured out the background/camera setting issue (#2). In case others have the same issue as me here is a good tutorial - 
  • Welcome to the community, @mette.

1. Unfortunately, there's no "magic answer" for whether or not any two assets are compatible with one another - as they're all developed separately and take different approaches to different problems.

The list of assets that AC has direct integration for is covered in Section 12.1 of the Manual - however these are more "high level" assets like UFPS.

As bringing true/guaranteed compatibility for all assets in general would never be possible nor practical, AC instead takes the approach of opening up its API so that users can extend AC through custom code to meet their own needs - whether it be to disable parts of AC while another asset runs, or have another asset work alongside AC.  This is all covered in Section 12 of the Manual, which you should definitely look into before bringing any other assets into your project.

That said, AC does have the ability for things like timers and progress bars, and notifications using its own systems.  Variables can be used to keep track of time and progress, and their values can be displayed in Menus.  Float variables can be linked to Slider menu elements, and any Variable's value can be displayed as a Label menu element - see this tutorial, amongst others.

Notifications can be achieved by turning on and off a Menu with a Label element using the Menu: Change state Action.  Again, the contents of the Label can be set with a string Variable, allowing you to update it at runtime.

2. Also know that AC has a Force aspect ratio option in the Settings Manager, which causes black borders to appear if the window's a.r. does not match the entered value.

3. The whole Menu system can be customised from the Menu Manager - each Menu has a list of Elements (label, button, etc), and each Element has their own properties (font, text size, colour, etc).  If you're just getting started with AC, check out some of the tutorial videos (particularly the 2D one, which includes some simple customisation of the UI).