Forum rules - please read before posting.

Using Point and Click, with interaction then hotspot, I cannot get inventory item to stay selected.

So I've troubleshot this for two days now.  I can add stuff to my inventory no problem.  Have my navigation system working perfectly fine, huzza.  But now I've hit a wall.

When I click Use in my menu and then the menu item, it selects nothing and disengages Use.

After making a specific Use interaction to test, I can see that it is registering the fact that I used Use on the object, but it simply disengages immediately after I select the object.  So I can apply it to the hot spot.

If I'm not using an inventory item everything works great, I can open doors, pick up a backpack, load up my inventory with the contents, etc.

But when it comes to actually use an inventory item there is no way for me to keep it working.  Out of desperation I (knowing that it was, engaging use, since I made an action list that essentially deleted the object if use was placed on it to test, and it did, in fact, do that) I made an action script that if Use was clicked on the object, the object would be selected.  No dice there either.  

And yes I made an interaction on the hotspot for that inventory to be used there...  I've literally tried everything.

If I went to the hotspot with the Use interaction set to the object including he last selected object then it works, but of course, that object isn't currently selected and I had to then click Use, then the object and use again, which isn't acceptable.  I'm really confused on what I'm doing wrong, I've read the manual and watched the tutorial videos and there simply isn't a good example on how to do this.  If I was using context mode or drag and drop with the regular inventory than yeah there's lots of documentation, but if I was using the custom Unity interaction menu shown in the tutorials to do a Monkey Island etc. style game, then it's mentioned that we can do that, but there is no real info.

I'm thoroughly stuck.  I will sleep on it for now, and if necessary post screen caps of whatever you guys need in the morning.

Comments

• Well this has been stressing me out so much I failed to fall asleep so I slapped together whatever images I thought someone might need to diagnose the problem.
  • SFGSFG
    edited July 2018
    Well this is truly frustrating...  It's nearly 1am, I'm not sure those images are of a usable resolution, because Photobucket may have resized them.  I can't embed the images into the posts for some bizarre reason... So here's hoping someone can make sense of what I posted.  Tomorrow I'll get better shots of whatever it is you need from me.  I'm very fatigued at this point.  Here's hoping I can get some sleep.

Hope everyone else has a decent evening.  Peace.
  • A private youtube video showing the issue and at the end of the video showing that Use is, in fact, being registered by the inventory item, prior to its de-selection.

https://youtu.be/Y4kOMPj5zbE
  • I figured out what was wrong.  Even if you have no icon and your inventory is "TEXT ONLY" you need a Main Graphic in the inventory object or it just deselects when use it clicked on it.  Not sure if this is a bug, but it certainly isn't documented.
  • I apologise for your frustration.  I shall do my best to recreate the problem.  It does sound like a bug, and once I get to the bottom of it I will address as appropriate.

The images are, however, indeed too small to read properly from.  Images should be embeddable here, but they can't be hosted here.  I recommend uploading to imgur.com and pasting the links directly into a Comment box.

I'm also having trouble accessing the Youtube video - is it private, or merely unlisted?
  • I believe I've recreated this issue - if you post higher-res images I can be more certain, but I think I'm experiencing the same problem now.

Certainly the item shouldn't be getting de-selected if no graphic is assigned - I'll investigate further and resolve the issue.  Again, apologies for the trouble and thanks for the report.
  • I believe I've recreated this issue - if you post higher-res images I can be more certain, but I think I'm experiencing the same problem now.

Certainly the item shouldn't be getting de-selected if no graphic is assigned - I'll investigate further and resolve the issue.  Again, apologies for the trouble and thanks for the report.
  • Hi Chris,

I can take new images if you need, (the old ones are gone now), just tell what area I should show you, everything is working now (as long as I give the inventory item a Main Graphic).  I posted a video showing the hotspot/inventory settings, etc.  But I can certainly give you new higher resolution images if that helps.  

I'm just happy  I'm making progress again.  The game is clicking together like legos :smiley:
  • Glad to hear it.  I've since fixed the issue (at least so far as I recreated it), so please PM me if you'd like to test it as part of the upcoming v1.64 update.
  • I found those JPGs I posted earlier, full resolution versions.  You already recreated it so there's probably no point, but I figured just in case, here are the files in a zip.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m_XG2c_yUOzw6Ldo6wG4QU9LY_IA1qin/view?usp=sharing
  • Thanks, appreciated.
  • Just discovered, using text-based inventory and Unity UI (I just switched so that I could force it to align with the background at all resolutions) when you tell it to tint the text color it does not, however it will tint the background image...  No idea why, but thought it might be a bug.  Ideally, I'd like my text to change and not have a huge colored square appear behind it.  It would just look better aesthetically.  Wondering if you have any ideas?

• What's the "Target Graphic" set to in the Button component?  The tinting should all be handled on the Unity UI side, out of AC's control.
  • Well if I have it set to the text, it doesn't do anything, when I have it set to the button it works on the button. 
  • That sounds like an issue with Unity UI, then.  Again, AC won't control the handling, so it's up to how the UI components are configured.

Are you able to get such a button/text transition working correctly in a fresh Canvas, without involving AC?