Forum rules - please read before posting.

voice over sound file playback cut off before end

Hi,

sometimes in our game a voice over playback is stopped before it is finished, before the whole sentence is said by the character. For example, if a character voice over sound file says "today is a nice day", voice over plays "today is a nica da" (word day is not pronounced till the end), it stops like 0,5 seconds before it should.

We have cases when this happens on a particular isolated voice over file and for those cases we can add 0.5 or 1 seconds silence at the end of voice over file in question and solve it that way.
But sometimes, on some machines we have problems with all voice overs, all voice overs in game are stopped 0.5 seconds before, and we cannot reproduce it, our users tell us about this problem but we cannot fix it because we cannot reproduce it. In fact, it happens sometimes on our machines too, but never consistently enough to debug it.

Did anyone have similar problems, is this a known issue? I am not sure how AC decides when it should stop the playback of voice over (speech files)

Cheers,
Joakim

Comments

• edited June 2019

Using which versions of AC and Unity? Fixes were made regarding the timing of speech audio playback, but that was quite a while ago.

It should be that speech audio is only stopped prematurely if the line is skipped / ended through e.g. player input. When left to play naturally, the line itself should only end once the audio itself has ended.

Let's see your Speech Manager settings - and details about the audio format. Is there a pattern to which machines cause issues?

• edited June 2019

We use AC 1.56c and Unity 2017.4.26.
    With this setup we currently only have problems of type "particular voice over stops playback before end" which we solve by adding 0.5 seconds of silence, we still don't have problems of type "sometimes all voice overs are being cut" but we are not yet in production we are still in development so we might get those too when our game hits more users with various types of hardware.

We did have problems of type "sometimes all voice overs are being cut" when we used AC 1.56c and Unity 5.4.2f2.

We got some hardware specs from our users who experienced that problem but I dont know if there is enough to notice a pattern, I will look into it.

We use ogg file format for our speech files (voice over files).

Our speech manager settings from game with AC 1.56c and Unity 2017.4.26 setup:
    https://imgur.com/kUgULTe

And settings from AC 1.56c and Unity 5.4.2f2 setup:
    https://imgur.com/a/UfbUx4d

• I believe it was in v1.58 that the way in which speech time is calculated was changed. Certainly the current release shouldn't have this problem.

I would recommend testing out a duplicate project with the current release, to see if that fixes the issue. If you're reluctant to upgrade AC completely in your main project, you may need to look into at least importing the latest Speech/Dialog script files, which should be the only ones necessary to apply the fix.

• Thanks for the answer Chris!
    We will try importing the latest Speech/Dialog script files since upgrading AC completely is not feasible for our project.