Forum rules - please read before posting.

Inventory icon bug?

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
To start, I have the choose interaction then hotspot method running, and my inventories have been changed to be menus that appear manually (when called by buttons present in a sierra-style icon bar at the top of the screen). Also, the game is not paused when the inventories are shown.

Whenever I select an inventory item inside the inventory menu, the cursor does change from the standard cursor to the inventory icon, as it should. I have set up back buttons which close the inventory menus. When I click the inventory cursor onto the back button though, most of the time the cursor completely disappears. I must right click to cycle through cursors to get my standard cursors to appear again. My iconbar has a "last selected inventory item" icon slot, so I can select the inventory item there after I get my walk cursor back. 

Clearly this is not ideal. Any idea what could be causing this? And FYI, I have no idea why this bug happens only most of the time, and in a few rare cases it doesn't happen.

Also, I'd ideally like to be able to have the inventory menus pause gameplay when shown, and be able to select/use/examine inventory items while the game is paused, but right now AC seems to force the main cursor to be shown when gameplay is paused. Is that something that can be changed easily?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    More inventory issues:

1) The last selected inventory item slot will show an inventory item that was last selected even if it has been removed from the inventory. 

2) When I use a "look" or "use" cursor on an inventory item in the inventory (the game is still not paused) it performs the proper interactions set up for that inventory item (when the inventory interaction setting is set to multiple), but I have noticed that when I try to click to skip speech lines that play when the inventory item is looked at or used, the interaction is run again. This happens because, while a subtitle menu appears with the speech line, clicking even on top of it has the inventory item register as being clicked, as long as the item is "below" the speech window. 

This means that when the player clicks on an item to look at it, he has to move the mouse away in order to click again to skip the speech. I noticed that inventory actionlists have no option to "pause game while running" like scene based actionlists have. Is there any way to add that? Would that solve this problem?

I guess a workaround would be turning off the inventory menu each time one of these interactions was run, but that seems like a big hassle to solve this problem. Any other ideas?

Edit: I should probably take some screenshots of issue #2 for clarification- 

This is the dialogue that shows up after "looking" at the torch - https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5024/13730062634_0008802749_o.png

As you can see, the cursor has changed to the wait cursor. However, if I click again while hovering over the torch icon, the "look" interaction is run again, and the dialogue repeats itself. This means that the player has to move the cursor away from the icon after clicking each time. Hope that clarifies the problem a bit!
  • OK.  Few things going on here - not sure how many are related (and for that matter, how fixing one will affect other systems.)

If it's OK with you, I'd like to deal with this in stages - fix the most problematic for 1.30, and then see about the lesser ones for 1.31.  This'll mean I can get your feedback/confirmation issues are fixed before going further.  The first issue in your first post should be addressed first.

For clarification: is problem 2 in your second post occuring while a Cutscene is playing?  Inventory interactions should ALWAYS block gameplay, unless you specifically set a dialogue line to play in the background.  Click the persistentEngine object while your game is running, and let me know the state of the Game State variable in the StateHandler script when the torch dialogue is playing.
  • edited April 2014
    Haha wow- so I tried to do what you said, and select the persistentEngine object when the game is running to monitor the Game State variable when the torch dialogue is playing, and something absolutely bizarre happened.

Apparently, when AND ONLY when the persistentEngine object is selected, whenever I try to change interaction cursors, they are forced back to the walk/main cursor after about a tenth of a second. So I couldn't even get to the torch dialogue because I couldn't select the look cursor.

I finally decided just to run the look at torch interaction without selecting the persistentEngine and then select it during the interaction. It appears the the game state was set to cutscene, not pause. And I've noticed that gameplay is typically not paused during cutscenes. 

Regarding your fixes for the other problems, however you want to do it is great. I'm just glad you're looking into it for me at all! Thanks for all the help!