Forum rules - please read before posting.

Options button that turns on or off post processing effects

I am trying to duplicate the options in this video to add a toggle to turn on/off post processing in my game:

I've created a custom action and action list which runs from a toggle button in my options menu. It doesn't work though and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is there a better way to do this or is there an error in my script? The post processing volume is attached to my main camera and working fine otherwise.

using System.Collections;********
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing;

namespace AC
{
    [System.Serializable]
    public class PostProcessingController : Action
    {
        public override string Title => "PostProcessingPixelation";
        public override ActionCategory Category => ActionCategory.Custom;
        public override string Description => "Turns on or off Pixelation";

[SerializeField] private PostProcessVolume _postProcessVolume;
        private PixelationEffect _pixelationEffect;

private void Start()
        {
            _postProcessVolume.profile.TryGetSettings(out _pixelationEffect);
        }

public void PixelationEffectOnOff(bool value)
        {
            _pixelationEffect.active = value;
        }
    }
}

Comments

• edited October 2022

Actions do not have Start functions - but instead have Run functions. See this tutorial for a guide to writing custom Actions.

However, you may not necessarily need one here. The best way to deal with graphic options is to store the value in a Global Bool Variable with its Link to property set to Options Data. That way, its value will be loaded automatically when the game starts, and you can use Toggle elements / Variable Actions to get/set its value.

You'd then just need a script to turn the post-processing on or off based on this Bool variable's value:

using UnityEngine;
    using UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing;
    using AC;

[System.Serializable]
    public class PostProcessingController : MonoBehaviour
    {

private PixelationEffect _pixelationEffect;
        public string globalBoolVariableName = "DoPostProcessing";

public void UpdateValue ()
        {
            PostProcessVolume _postProcessVolume = Camera.main.GetComponent<PostProcessVolume> ();
            _postProcessVolume.profile.TryGetSettings(out _pixelationEffect);
            _pixelationEffect.active = AC.GlobalVariables.GetVariable (globalBoolVariableName).BooleanValue;
        }

}

Attach this to an empty GameObject, make it a prefab, then remove from the scene.

Then, whenever you change the option's value, use the Object: Call event Action to run this prefab's UpdateValue function.

• Thank you, I've given that a try but I'm not seeing the "UpdateValue" option under Object: Call Event action.
    Sometimes get an error "The script needs to derive from mono behavior".
    I made a video following your suggestion, I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.
    https://youtu.be/A1u-5VNWd0M

• Sorry, that's my fault. I started writing the code as a custom Action, but switched to a MonoBehaviour without updating the class type.

I've corrected the script above - give it another try. When using the Action, you'll first need to click "+" to create a new event slot. Then drag/drop the prefab (with the script attached) into this slot, and the UpdateValue field should then be available in the drop-down that appears to the right.

• Alright, I'm able to add the UpdateValue function to the action but am getting an error when trying the menu in game.
    "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    PostProcessingController.UpdateValue () (at Assets/Script/PostProcessingController.cs:16)"

• You'll need to create a Global Bool variable, link it to Options Data, and then enter its name into the component's Inspector. By default, this is named DoPostProcessing - have you added and assigned this?

• Alright, that was the piece I was missing! It works now. Thank you so much for your help.

• I've got these options working but when the player changes scenes, all the post processing resets. How do I make the settings stay between scene changes?
    So far I have tried changing the "Link to" under the global variable with no luck.
  • Keep "Link to" as Options Data - it'll keep the value persistent.

As the Post Processing object is local to the scene, though, you'll need to apply the variable's value to the new instance when opening a scene. This should just be a case of calling the above script's UpdateValue function in the same way as before in your OnStart / OnLoad cutscenes.

• That worked! As always you are extremely helpful!