Forum rules - please read before posting.

Need help, character defaults to facing away from camera?

Hello! I am brand new to Adventure Creator, so forgive me if this is a no brainer.

My player character is named Jeff, and I am using him to create a demo to learn all the functionalities I'll need to know in order to make a full Adventure Game. Jeff's animations are all working fine, but when I start the game, his default animation is "JeffIdle_U" and he is facing away from the camera. How can I change this so that when the game starts, his default animation is "JeffIdle_D" and he is facing towards the camera?

Thank you!

Comments

• edited January 2021

Welcome to the community, @btownsend.

When using "Sprites Unity" mode to animate a 2D character (the default option for 2D characters), AC will choose which directional animation to play based on their current rotation - not from the default state of the Animator.

Your scene should have a Default PlayerStart - which is where the Player will be placed when the scene begins. If you don't have one defined, you can assign one by clicking "Create" beside the "Default PlayerStart" field in the Scene Manager.

(For more on creating 2D scenes, see this tutorial)

Once you have a PlayerStart in the scene, you can rotate it to match the direction you'd like the Player to face when they snap there. For a 2D game, this is a case or rotating the arrow around the Z-axis - to be downward-facing, it should have a Rotation of (0, 0, 180) in their Transform component.

If all looks correct but you still have trouble, let's see some images showing your situation so that I can give more specific advice.

• Problem solved. Thanks!