Forum rules - please read before posting.

2D First person movement

Hi,

I have made a simple scene that I just want the player to move left to right across the scene looking for something. I have read the tutorial and watched the videos but I can't see what I am missing. I have a camera set up as the player and when I test the game they can scroll the screen left to right with the keyboard arrow keys but clicking on the screen with the mouse does nothing.

I did read here: https://adventurecreator.org/tutorials/making-first-person-player
That I need to make changes to the settings in Edit → Project Settings → Input but once there I cannot find any settings for cursorhorizontal cursorvertical or togglecursor. Am I just looking in the wrong place or is there something else I have overlooked?

Thanks very much

There is nothing like learning something new to make you feel incredibly stupid!

Comments

• The tutorial you've linked to is dealing with traditional first-person, i.e. in 3D.

2D first-person is separate, and typically just involves having a regular 2D scene without an on-screen Player character.

Unless your game is actually a 3D game, don't set your Settings Manager's "Movement method" to "First Person", or make use of the First Person Camera type. For a typical 2D first-person game, you instead just want to make use of stationary cameras, and with your "Movement method" set to "None" - since you have no on-screen Player character.

I'm not entirely clear on what your scenario is - could you share some screenshots showing both your game (i.e. how it's played), and your Settings Manager?

When you talk about "clicking on the screen", are you referring to interacting with Hotspots? If your game is 2D, you'll need to rely on 2D Hotspots, i.e. those that have 2D Colliders instead of 3D ones.

• Thank you!

I thought it might be to do with it being 2D but couldn't get the connection between them!

I will have another play and if I am still stuck will come back. Thanks again.

• Depending on what you're going for, there is a 2D First Person package available on the Downloads page.