Forum rules - please read before posting.

Things goes wrong with the "start conversation"

edited December 2022 in Technical Q&A

Hi, I am a newcomer and I am trying to learn adventure creator. I am using V1.75.8
I am following the tutorial trying to create dialogue but weird things happened when I try to use the "start conversation" in dialogue. I used that for displaying options to conversations, but every time when it goes to that part, I couldn't see the dialogue. I suspect it is somewhere since I cannot make any other hotspot interactions and the menu UI disappears(and the game got stuck there). Does anyone knows what happened? I think I did exactly as in the tutorial. Btw, the Dialogue-play speech works fine.

Another question there, does anyone know how to change the position of the dialogues?

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @HakunaMatata.

A few of the video tutorials cover Conversations - are you following one of them, or the text tutorial?

I used that for displaying options to conversations, but every time when it goes to that part, I couldn't see the dialogue

Is that to say you can't see the Conversation's list of dialogue options, or the speech lines that clicking them produces?

Conversation options should display in the default Conversation menu, provided you've opted to use the default interface when running the New Game Wizard. Do you have Conversation listed in the Menu Manager, with its Appear type set to During Conversation?

A general-purpose debugging tool that might be handy here is AC's Status box, which displays the game's current state in the top-left corner of the Game window. You can enable this box from the bottom of the Settings Manager, with the Show 'AC Status' box?. If you enable it, what does it show at the time the issue occurs? Check the Console window as well for any relevant messages.

You're welcome to share any screenshots of your project if you'd like another set of eyes on them.

does anyone know how to change the position of the dialogues?

The position of subtitles can be changed within the Subtitles menu, which is also listed in the Menu Manager. If you want it to be dynamic, e.g. be positioned over the character speaking, you can adjust the Menu's Position property.

If you want it to be fixed, you can do that either by adjusting the X/Y slider values beneath (if the Menu's Source is set to Adventure Creator), or by modifying its linked UI prefab (if its instead set to Unity Ui Prefab).

Again, any screenshots you'd like to share will be welcome and help clarify your situation.