Forum rules - please read before posting.

Implementing the "You have added XY to your inventory" feature

Hello everyone,

I'm and AC newbie and I'd like to ask you, seasoned AC veterans, how I can inform the player that he has collected an item that can be found in his inventory. It should work like this:

• The player collects an item.
  • A big close-up of the inventory item appears with a "You have added XY to your inventory" over the paused game
  • The notification disappears and the game continues.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @fenylethylamin.

This sounds like a good topic for a tutorial - I'll see about providing one shortly.

What you'd essentially want to do is have a Container that is given the same item as the Player, and then use an InventoryBox element inside a Menu to show that Container's contents (which, if you clear the Container's contents before adding the item, should just be that one item).

At the point you take an item, you'd then be able to use the Container: Add or remove Action to add the item, the Container: Open Action to map the Container to the InventoryBox element, and the Menu: Change state Action to turn the menu on.

Instead of running copies of these Actions each time, you'd then move these to a separate ActionList asset file and use parameters to modify what item is added.

I appreciate this could sound a bit confusing if you're new to AC, but if you can bear with me I'll update this thread once I've covered these steps in a tutorial.

• Thanks, Chris! Looking forward to the tutorial. :)

• No problem - you can find it here.