Forum rules - please read before posting.

Recreating 'Golden Idol' style drag and drop system (with menus, or..?)

I currently have a menu system in place which allows players to collect pieces of evidence (see attached image below), and am hoping to try something new with it by adapting it into a 'Curse of the Golden Idol' style drag and drop system. In the image, these yellow strips of paper ('Additional evidence') are separate, individual menus, each of which I'd like to be able to click and drag. My hope, also like Golden Idol, is that they can be dragged onto blank spaces somewhere else on the screen, likely on another menu (see here to better understand this system, particularly with the image alongside 'Find Every Word' tip).

I understand there is the inventory drag and drop system which is talked about a lot with AC, but I have the feeling that doesn't work for me since I want to keep the label that dynamically changes to specify the detail of each evidence. Perhaps there's a logical way to make this work for me, which I'd be happy to hear!

I'm DEEP into using AC's menus (I have... a lot) and feel overwhelmed with switching to Unity UI, so really hoping I can get somewhere with everything I currently have setup! Asking for a lot, but any suggestions are welcome!

Comments

• Unless you went down a totally custom-scripting path (which might be preferable, if your needs are very specific), you'll need to leverage AC's drag-and-drop Inventory system, as that allows for elements of the screen to be dragged around.

Generally speaking, there's two ways you could leverage this:

1. Stick to Menus, with each paper strip being an Inventory item, displayed in an InventoryBox element. "Blank spaces" would be other InventoryBox elements, liked to Containers, so that they can be transferred from the Player's Inventory into a separate location. You could then use a little scripting upon moving an item to "process" the movement by reading the Container's contents to work out what was placed where.

A technique similar to this is used in the "Equipment system" example package over on the Downloads page, where different equipment slots are represented with single-slot Containers.

1. Use Inventory items to represent what's being moved, but have the dragging itself occur in the scene via Hotspots, used for both the strips and the slots. Again, scripting would be necessary to process what's placed where, but the rendering of objects might be easier here because you're dealing with GameObjects rather than Menus.

I want to keep the label that dynamically changes to specify the detail of each evidence.

As in, the text on the strip to continue to show while dragging? I'd expect that'd be a secondary problem, and one to solve once you've settled on which technique you'd want to go with.

• Thanks Chris, I appreciate the suggestions! I'll tinker with both and see how I go :)