Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hotspot highlight shape based on collider

Is it possible to use a hotspot's collider (rather than a SpriteRenderer) to specify what shape to use during hotspot highlighting?

Here's an example of someone doing something very similar for both BoxCollider2D and PolygonCollider2D:
https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/197313/show-colliders-in-a-build-game-in-unity

Thanks!

Comments

• If you uncheck a Highlight component's Auto-brighten materials when enabled?, then the default highlighting effect will be disabled - and you can read the component's GetHighlightAlpha value to apply a custom effect through script.

For example, you could control the LineRenderer created in your linked thread by affecting its color's alpha channel:

void Update ()
    {
        AC.Highlight highlight = GetComponent<AC.Highlight> ();
        float alpha = highlight.GetHighlightAlpha ();

LineRenderer lineRenderer = GetComponent<LineRenderer> ();

Color startColor = lineRenderer.startColor;
        startColor.a = alpha;
        lineRenderer.startColor = startColor;

Color endColor = lineRenderer.endColor;
        endColor.a = alpha;
        lineRenderer.endColor = endColor;
    }

• edited April 2023
    Interesting, do you know of a way to fill the shape so that its not just the outline that is displayed?

Any chance of a feature like this being part of AC in the future? Like you, I'm trying to prioritize all the items on my todo list :)
  • I'd look into the use of a custom shader via Shader Graph, myself. One that takes a Float parameter to control the effect, which can be set using the same function as above.

• edited April 2023
    Interesting, well this feature has my vote for an upcoming release. Would be great to just have the collider and be done with itπŸ‘