Forum rules - please read before posting.

Severe Stuttering caused by path finding when against navmesh edge [FIXED]

edited September 2023 in Technical Q&A

EDIT: Couldn't find the delete button so I'll leave this up for if anyone else has the same problem. I fixed it shortly after posting this.

Movement style: point and click

Been having this issue where if the player clicks to move while next to a navmesh edge, the entire game stutters, or the frame rate drops.

You can see it in action here where it's most noticeable because of the narrow walkways.

Notice whenever I'm on a straight away, no lag, everything smooths out. It's mostly when hitting corners, or touching the edge of the navmesh.

Movement settings:
https://imgur.com/a/GFdACD8

Anything I should try to fix it?

Comments

• edited September 2023

EDIT: It was because my navmesh was too large.
    It had too many points on it thus, must have caused too much processing. I fixed by breaking it up into smaller navmeshes.

• If your NavMesh is too large, an alternative to the breaking it down is to switch your pathfinding algorithm to A*.

Movement with this algorithm is a little different to the built-in one, but performance is considerably better. An integration for A* in 2D games can be found on the Downloads page.