Forum rules - please read before posting.

Check Track Position - Hinge Track

edited October 2023 in Technical Q&A

Hi all,

I'm an artist trying to muddle my way through this, so there's a good chance I'm failing to grasp some basic principle here!

I'm trying to trigger a new cutscene with Check Track Position on a Hinge Track.

I have a Control Timeline animation that Continues into Check Track Position. Hinge and Draggable all works as expected. But when object snaps into the desired track region nothing happens.

I have it set to: If Condition is met: Run Cut Scene (though I've tried with Play Audio also)
If condition is not met: Stop - is this my issue? Do I need to do something fundamental with the logic here that I haven't? I think this is it, it's just checking then stopping, but I'm not sure how to make it check again.

I know I'm being stupid, I'll continue to watch videos and try and figure out what I'm not grasping, but if anyone here thinks I'm making some obvious mistake please do let me know!

Thanks
Stef

Comments

• edited October 2023

Welcome to the community, @stoofnie.

The Moveable: Check track position has a couple of modes, and needs to be run at the correct time. Typically, this Action is run as part of the Draggable's Interaction on move ActionList - so that the position can be checked each frame the Draggable is moved.

If you can share screenshots/details on exactly how/when you're running this Action, I can try to see what's wrong. However:

But when object snaps into the desired track region nothing happens.

It's possible to run a ActionList at the point the object snaps into a given Track region - this is often the "cleaner" approach, as you can then avoid checking the position inside the ActionList.

To do this, create a Cutscene and assign it in the Track region's Cutscene on snap Inspector field. You don't need to use the Moveable: Check track position Action with this - as it will only run at the correct time.

Separately: thank you for the feedback in your Asset Store review - I will take your comments on board as I improve AC. The "get up and running quickly" aspect is something in particular I want to focus on in the near future.

Please do know that I am always here for answers and advice. And aside from the video tutorials, text tutorials - which focus on more specific aspects of AC - can be found here. If you have suggestions for topics to add, they would be very welcome.