Forum rules - please read before posting.

Aspect Ratio / Proportions for UI Not Being Maintained

Hi all,

Hope you are doing well!

So I am currently using Adventure Creator as the source for my subtitles menu, and I noticed that the subtitles box and the dialogue portrait seem to be stretching and losing its proportionality when I am resizing the window --

is there a way to maintain the original proportions of the elements in this menu when stretching and compressing the window, kind of like how the player proportionally increases and decreases in size instead of stretching when I change the window?

It's ok if the text decreases in size -- noticed the text size is staying the same, so wondering if that may be contributing to the issue?

Video attached just in case!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HCacFueAQdBa20sqVMzUvfAhRGOttMvR/view?usp=sharing

Thank you so much!

Comments

• edited December 2023

**Sorry the text size is not always staying the same, just realized. I'm thinking something else may be the issue.

• I've also noticed that the amount of text that shows up in journals seem to be inconsistent when I resize -- wondering if I can make this consistent as well.

• Also sorry just 2 more questions as well --

1) Do you know if it is possible to hover on objectives in the inventory box that displays objectives and show their respective descriptions in a panel to the right?

2) I was wondering if it would be possible to modify the descriptions of the objectives.

• AC Menus will scale with both the width and height of the screen. For finer control, switch to Unity UI - it's the recommended option for final menu design, with AC being best for rapid prototyping.

Unity UI allows you to make use of the Canvas Scaler component which lets you dictate exactly how it scales with differing screen sizes/ratios.

Each of the default menus have a Unity UI counterpart you can make use of by switching the Source to Unity Ui Prefab. If you're starting from scratch, a video tutorial on Unity UI-based menu creation can be found here, and a text one here.

Do you know if it is possible to hover on objectives in the inventory box that displays objectives and show their respective descriptions in a panel to the right?

As in, the behaviour you get by default if you first click on an Objective in the list - but without the click?

It should be achievable with scripting - are you using the default Objectives menu?

I was wondering if it would be possible to modify the descriptions of the objectives.

You can edit the description of an Objective within the Inventory Manager - or do you mean at runtime?

• edited December 2023

@ChrisIceBox thanks for getting back to me! Is there a way I can copy over what I did in AC to the Unity UI counterpart, or does it automatically copy over?

I shall go ahead and take a look at the Unity UI prefabs.
    Oh my gosh -- I didn't even realize there was a default Objectives menu -- thanks for letting me know! I shall take a look and see if I can replicate the functionality in the menu I had.

Regarding the last part, I was wondering if I could edit the description at runtime!

• Is there a way I can copy over what I did in AC to the Unity UI counterpart, or does it automatically copy over?

The "Source" option merely deals with rendering. Your elements and their properties will be retained, it's just the way they appear on-screen that changes. The second tutorial deals with the conversion of an AC menu to a Unity UI one.

I was wondering if I could edit the description at runtime!

Easiest way is to rely on a Global Variable token, i.e. set the Description to [var:X], where "X" is the ID of a Global String or PopUp variable, whose value will then replace the token at runtime. Changing the variable's value will then change the Description.

• Awesome, thank you so much!