Forum rules - please read before posting.

NPC Headturn - tracking player when he moves

Hello all!

As the title suggests, I'd like to know if there's a feature baked into AC that allows me to set head positions (Left/Right/Up/Down, Center, etc.) for an NPC that will update/track the player's movement/position.

I've tried accomplishing this with Triggers and Variables, but it becomes messy due to my desire to add random animations as well.

Is there something built into AC 2D, or do I need to set it up with triggers and variables?

As always, I appreciate any documentation, tutorials, or third-party scripts.

Thank you all, and have a great day!

Comments

• edited February 2

It's possible - both 2D and 3D characters support head-turning, though it's a lot easier in 3D.

With 2D, you'll want to use a separate layer to animate the head - so that it can be animated independent of the body. The specific workflow depends on your Animation engine, however - which are you using?

The best resource for this is the "Player prefab: 2D head-turning" package on the Downloads page. This offers two alternative Player prefabs from the 2D Demo - for Sprites Unity and Sprites Unity Complex. If you need guidance after checking them out along with the Readme, let me know which you're going with.

Once a character has been set up for head-turning, the Character: Face object Action can then be used to control it.

• I'm using Sprite Unity as the Animation Engine. Essentially, what I want to accomplish is having a taxidermy deer mounted on the wall. When your sanity/HP drops below a certain number, I'd like it to follow you around the room (head turn based on character position) and then trigger various animations with Variable: Check random number. Currently, I have it partially working with variables and triggers, but I'm encountering issues with the actual turning, as it also controlled by triggers. Additionally, I have actual turn animations; it's not just a single frame (L, R, U, D). Thank you for your assistance. I'll explore the headturn prefab. If you have any other suggestions on how to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate it.

• If you already have the logic to turn their head with Triggers, it may not even need to be an NPC, in that case - just an Animator.

Rather than playing animation names directly as part of the Trigger, though, use an Int parameter - set to e.g. -1 when looking left, 0 when forward, and +1 when right. You'll then be able to account for it in your Animator's transitions when playing back different animations - removing the need to separately keep track of which direction they're facing.

• Worked like a charm. Thank you very much! I added a Link Variable to Animator and Set triggers. Thank you again. Have a great week end!