Forum rules - please read before posting.

NavMesh or Unity Navigation created at runtime? (Randomly generated navmesh)

So I'm making a game here, loving using AdventureCreator. My problem is that I am to the point in my game's production that I now need to make the levels randomly generated. I didn't really think this through when I made my game using AdventureCreator haha...... anyway, I think my question pretty much sums it up. Is there a way that I can bake the NavMesh at runtime? So that the characters don't actually know what their pathfinding options are until after the game has started. You know what I mean :P... and if this isn't a possibility currently (I'm seriously open to anything, I can try integrating other pathfinding methods if you know of any that might work (I haven't found any that I can successfully get to work with AC)), is it at all possible that this option could be featured in a future update of AC? I don't know how complicated this whole thing might be, but it never hurts to ask, right? Thank you very much for your time.

Comments

• Randomly-generated levels aren't a part of traditional adventure games, which is why AC doesn't really cater for them.  However, you should be able to use a script-created NavMesh at runtime - provided you can programatically create it when the scene begins.

Making mesh through scripts is beyond the scope of this forum, but there are a lot of resources on the net (this is a good starting point).  Once you've gotten your mesh, simply assign it to your NavMesh's Mesh Collider, and AC will be able to make use of it.
  • Thank you very much for the reply! Within a week I'm actually going to be purchasing an awesome asset for my game that randomly generates something else (I'm going a different direction now), and luckily this asset actually has a pathfinding system built into it. I have no doubt I can get it to work with AC, writing my own pathfinding system was the problem beforehand. Thanks again!
  • @ILoFoSho, might I ask what the name of this asset is? :)
  • Of course! You've probably heard of it, it's called TerraVol. It uses an A* Pathfinding system. In its online demo you can set a destination using the "I" key and then have it trace a path back to that point using the "I" key again, and that's after it's randomly generated a terrain, so I know it works at runtime. Here's the link to its forum: