Forum rules - please read before posting.

newbie questions

Hi,
I have bought AC recently. We had already created a scene (without AC). Now I have installed AC. I have setting the 3d scene (adding folders in the scene etc), but I'm not able to add my FirstPersonCharacter. I tried to add the unity default FPC but the CursorHorizontal and CursorVertical axis are not working. (I have configured these axis from Edit->Project Setting->Input). I have tried without default FPC but it not works.
Could you please explain me step by step how can I do it?
Thanks.

Comments

• Follow the Character tutorials: http://www.adventurecreator.org/tutorials/setting-player-prefab-first-person

When in doubt, you can always use the 3D Demo's Player prefab, Tin Pot, as a temporary measure, since he's also set up for First Person.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi Chris,
    I followed your tutorials in youtube, in the manual and also in this website. I tried to use the Tin Pot prefab as FirstPersonController but I get always this error:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AC.StateHandler.OnGUI () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:308)
    I found this discussion:
    but I not use UFPS and I have just a Camera (FirstPersonCamera) on my scene,
    Any idea?
    Thanks.
    Andy
  • That error suggests you don't have a MainCamera prefab in your scene.  Did you modify or delete it?  Try clicking "Organise room objects" at the top of the Scene Manager.
  • The maincamera prefab was the problem but now I have another issue:  "input axis mouse x is not setup. to change the input settings use: Edit -> Project Settings -> Input", but I already configured all the axis: vertical, horizontal, cursorvertical, cursorhorizontal, toggle mouse like in your tutorial...
    I don't know what to do. :-(
  • "Mouse X" refers to the axis that UFPS needs.  The ones listed in my tutorial only refer to AC.  Check UFPS' manual for a list of required inputs.
  • edited April 2015
    Why I get a UFPS error without that the UFPS package is installed?
  • I'm sorry, I think I mistook your error.  Where does this error message occur?  A screenshot would help a lot.
  • edited April 2015
    Chris, I have solved the issue (I was not able to drag the player in the scene setting because my player not had a player script attached, I think) . Now I get a input button submit is not setup error and
    No NavMesh set. Characters will not be able to PathFind until one is defined - please choose one using the Scene Manager.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    AC.KickStarter:Awake() (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/KickStarter.cs:845)

However the game is running now. I suppose that I don't need to set a navmesh because I use the FirstPersonChar (I set the pathfinding method to unity navigation and no longer have the navmesh error) and the button submit is not mandatory.
    Now I have a little problem with the walk style of my player. He walks like Tiny Pot, why?
    Thanks.
  • You'll need to give me more detail than that.  "Walks like Tin Pot" - as in, you're using the Tin Pot character as your player?  If that's the case, you'll have to assign your own Player prefab in the Settings Manager.  A quick-and-dirty way to do this would be duplicate the Tin Pot player (found in Demo/Resources/Tin Pot), remove the Mesh Renderer, and assign the copy as your Player prefab.
  • edited April 2015
    Sorry Chris, with "walk like Tiny Pot" I mean with the walk animation of Tiny Pot, like if my player jumps... I use my player prefab and not Tiny Pot. It's a first person character and should not have a walk animation... You know what I mean say?
    Thanks.
  • If you don't want a walk animation, you don't need one.  Post a screenshot of your Player prefab (both the scene object, and the inspector) - I still don't understand what you have exactly.
  • Hi Chris, I have just the inspector view because I use the playerstart. Attached the inspector screens and playerstart screen too.
    More things. I want to use the "i" key in order to show my inventory. I set the keyimageimagein the unity input manager and active inputs editor too then I set the action with the action list editor and set inventory but I'm not able to find the correct action (see screen).
    Also I I'm not able to climb the stairs, how can I change the slope angle or step offset?
    Many thanks.
    imageimage
  • Hi Chris, I have just the inspector view because I use the playerstart. Attached the inspector screens and playerstart screen too.
    More things. I want to use the "i" key in order to show my inventory. I set the key in the unity input manager and active inputs editor too then I set the action with the action list editor and set inventory but I'm not able to find the correct action (see screen).
    Also I I'm not able to climb the stairs, how can I change the slope angle or step offset?
    Many thanks.

Screenshots:
  • You have an animation set in your "Walk" field - if you're making a First Person game, you don't need this.

To view the Inventory, you need to open the Menu called "Inventory" (assuming you have one - it's included in the Default AC Menus).  Use the "Menu: Change state" Action to turn on "Inventory", but you'll have to go into the Inventory Menu's list of properties (in the Menu Manager) and set it's "Appear type" to "Manual", so that it only opens when you tell it to.

Instead of a Capsule Collider, you can also make use of a Character Controller, which may help you climb stairs.  However, know that AC also has support for UFPS, which is a great tool for FPS games.
  • Thank you Chris, I solved most issues.
    Just a little question.
    How can I set a UI button in AC? I mean put a onclick event in order to change the scene.
    I tried to insert a hotspot front of button with a interaction "change scene" but I'm not able to show the hotspot in game.
    I have the button and the text as child.
    Many thanks.
  • Take a look at this tutorial, which covers linking Unity UI Buttons to AC.  Basically you need to create the UI controls, then register it with AC's Menu Manager, which controls the OnClick Events automatically.
  • Many thanks. Solved.