Forum rules - please read before posting.

Nodes in Actionlist magically disconnect?

Hi! I have been using the asset actionlists to make cutscenes for my game, and I have run into something that might be a very annoying bug.

After hitting the unity play button, and then testing the actionList, I have found that 'something' has disconnected some of the nodes in the Actionlist for no reason at all! This pretty much makes the action useless, and I have found no cause or workaround. The connection stays severed after exiting playmode again and looking at the Actionlist. Reconnecting them and running play again, just breaks the same connections again.

Am I doing something wrong? Would there be a reason why some nodes are suddenly disconnected?

Comments

• I haven't heard of this before.  Do you mean you're editing the lists during runtime?  Please give as detailed steps as you can to reproduce this.
  • edited May 2015

Alright. This is the setup.

I have a trigger on the floor.
    That trigger's script checks if the player has a certain item in his inventory, and if so, runs an actionlist from an asset file. 

In the screenshot you can see the last part of that actionlist, including the ties it keeps breaking.

It seems to be Start Conversation nodes that can't link to their next nodes. Those conversations are in scene. I won't be able to send you the source of the project, but I might be able to send you the action if this is not enough info.

• If you check "Override defaults", because that'll mean that it has to be able to reference the linked Conversation at all times.  If you view the asset file when the scene it refers to is not loaded, then it won't be able to find the conversation, and break - as you've seen.

I will see if this can be fixed, but if not - I will have to place a warning message inside the Action under these circumstances.

In the meantime, you'll have to move your Conversation-handling Actions into a scene-based Cutscene, and run the Cutscene from the Asset file, using the ActionList: Run Action.
  • Ah, I see! A warning would be a good idea yeah.

Although I am still a bit confused, as I only have 1 scene, and it was always loaded when I was making/running the cutscene. It has no trouble linking to the in-scene items (like the NPC speakers or conversations) while making the script. 

I moved the cutscene to an in-scene one, and now everything works as intended. 

Thank you very much! 

• The difference is that it requires a constant connection to the object, because it needs to know what the options are etc., whereas the other fields only require a one-time reference.