Forum rules - please read before posting.

Interacting a mecanim character with action list

after your 'Making a Mecanim Character' tutorial I brought in the Raw-Mocap character and followed it to the end. Then in my StartUp cutscene I have tried combinations of the following actions but the character either doesn't move at all or it slides through to the Marker not walking . What is wrong?

1. Object Teleport , to Player Start Marker
  2. Character Animate: Method-> Change Parameter, Parameter to affect-> MoveSpeed, Type->float, Set Value->1
  3. Character Move to Point: Is Player ticked, Move Speed->Walk, Wait until finish ticked.

No matter if I interchange 2 and 3 he never walks

Comments

• If you've declared your movement parameter "MoveSpeed" in both your Animator window, and the character's Inspector, then it should be set automatically by the system when the character moves.

Without seeing what you've done exactly it's not possible to give specific advice.  Post some screenshots of your character's Inspector, Animator component, and let us know if your animations rely on root motion.
  • I tried to use SnagIt to capture the ActionLists from the screen but there is a warning saying that it is too large . How do I paste these kind of pictures here in the Forum?
  • Uploading to imgur.com then pasting the links has always worked for me.
  • http://imgur.com/d4yZxco

http://imgur.com/DtaQKcC

I don't know if this is the right procedure maybe I am missing something. Anyway I'll follow your 2.5D tutorial see if I learn something more........ and thanks

• The screenshots don't show enough of your windows to help, I'm afraid.  If the tutorial doesn't help you, you'll have to post larger images that show the full inspectors / windows.
  • I have indeed learnt from your 2.5d tutorial and I have used the girl prefab in my test program and it works. Now I re installed Raw-Mocap and used its animation list and when it starts the character slides for about 1 second and then walks and if I wait a bit and select the next hotspot destination again it slides and after a second or so she walks normally.  I have tried to manipulate the MoveSpeed higher and lower than 0.1 but it makes no difference.

In your 2.5D Game the girl prefab also hesitates a bit before moving but there is no sliding at all.

One other question how can I see the bar movement under each node within the animator screen when running the scene? I saw it once and never again

• Check that your Mecanim transitions have "Use Exit time?" unchecked - otherwise, the whole animation will play before moving onto the next.  That may account for the sliding.

To see the Mecanim live running, make sure you have the local instance of the girl selected - not the prefab.
  • GREAT, thanks now they walk and don't slide. I have now used other Mecanim characters that didn't work for me and now they do.

I don't understand the second paragraph , I select Wharf->girl and then run the scene but I don't see the Mecanim live running.

• When the game is running, select the local instance of the Player prefab ("Girl" inside your Hierarchy window.  Then find the Animator component, and click on the Animator controller field (should be named "Human" if you followed the tutorial exactly).  If you then open the Animator window, you should see the live running.
  • I have to say 'chapeau' !! which you probably know what it means. Your 2.5D tutorial was excellent and it covers many things all of them useful for beginners like me. I have noticed a multitude of other actions that are not covered yet? or maybe I cannot find them, such as Character NPC follows, or others is there a manual or tutorial that exemplifies each action such as PlayMaker has?.

But again congratulations Chris !  

• More tutorials can be found here, and section 5.2 of the included manual describes what each Action can do.