Forum rules - please read before posting.

New Scene Attributes feature / Saving custom labels

Unity: v5.5.0f3 Personal
AC: 1.55c

Hello all you peoples!

First of all, this new "Scene Attributes" feature sounds interesting, but I'm wondering if I might be using it the wrong way. I'd like to be able to give an internal name to scenes in my game, to keep track of for use when I save the game.

I've set the Scene Attribute to a string "Scene Name"... and I was wondering if there's a way I can access this directly? Like a variable?  Or is creating a global variable to keep track of the scene, and just set that directly via OnStart/OnLoad?

And secondly... I'm using Unity UI's, and I'd like to customise my save files to include TWO different lines of text. A room name/scene name above the screenshot, and the date the save was made below the screenshot.

I am well aware of the "Custom Save Game Labels" tutorial, which is fine and dandy and I can monkey with it to get something working, but can I pull from the Scene Attributes or am I forced to use a global variable?

Also, the second text for the date...  Is that possible?

Thank you!

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Scene attributes are intended for internal management / handling of scenes, not really for transferring between variables etc.  They are read using the Scene: Check attribute Action, and cannot be written to / changed in-game.  They could feasibly be used for another purpose (e.g. used as the basis for a save game label), but this handling would need to be done via a custom Action or other script.

A scene attribute of ID = 2 can be gotten with the following code:

AC.InvVar myAttribute = AC.KickStarter.sceneSettings.GetAttribute (2);

And if this was a string, its value could be transferred to a Global String variable of ID = 4 with:

string attributeValue = myAttribute.textVal;
    AC.GlobalVariables.SetStringValue (4, attributeValue);

Once moved to a string variable, you can use it as the basis for a save game label.

As for the second text for the date: AC only allows for one label to be associated with a save game label.  However, you may be able to separate a label into two by placing a separator in the text itself, e.g.:

My scene name|February 1

And then, via custom scripting, copy all text left of the "|" to the first UI label, and all text right of it to the second.
  • Gotcha!

I figured as much for the labelling, but it's always nice to ask.

And, good to know about the Scene Attributes! 

Thank you so much for your input!