Forum rules - please read before posting.

Does this tool support the display of RTL languages?

Basically as title asks... Correctly displaying right-to-left languages (like arabic and hebrew)

If not, will this be considered in future updates?

Thanks!

Comments

• Welcome to the forum, @Mutajon.

Indeed it does - each translation has a "Reads right-to-left" property that, when checked, causes the following:

- Input boxes add new letters on the left side
    - Hotspot strings (e.g. "Use X on Y") are reverse (e.g. "Y on X Use").

Words themselves aren't, and neither are speech lines - since they're assumed to be entered in RTL by the user.

The formatting of Menus is not changed either, but custom events can be used to update to e.g. Right-side alignment of your elements if need be.  The OnChangeLanguage event is called whenever the user switches language, so you can hook your own function into that which updates your UI accordingly.
  • Thanks for the quick, welcoming and informative response. Much appreciated.

• edited July 2017
    My main game language is in RTL format. So where exactly do I apply the "Reads right-to-left" property?

Also, when I enter a new line of text in the unity editor, the letters are entering in the wrong order. e.g. if I want to write the word הוא, it enters backwards as אוה, and is also displayed backwards within the game. This forces me to write backwards in the unity editor, to make it appear in the right direction (and writing whole sentences backwards is really tiring....).

Would appreciate any help on the matter.
    Thanks!
  • The Right-to-left property is a per-language property, which is generated in the Speech Manager as a translation of your game's text.  Text is gathered up by clicking "Gather text" in the Speech Manager - see this tutorial.

While you can't set the RTL property for your game's "original" language (i.e. those entered in speech Action boxes), you can check Prevent original language from being used? - also in the Speech Manager.  This will mean that the first translation listed will be your game's default language - even if you haven't modified the text to be different from the text entered into your Actions.

As for writing text RTL in the Editor, I'm afraid that's a limitation of Unity so far as I can tell.  AC relies on Unity's own GUI text boxes for text entry, which doesn't provide for text to be entered in reverse.

However: since you can disable the "internal" language as described above, you could write in English instead just as a temporary / internal measure - and then write your game's actual display text in a translation file.
  • Thanks for the info and suggestions. Will look into them.