Forum rules - please read before posting.

2 separate inventorys are interlinked somehow (bug)

Hi,
I have some nasty problems that I can't find sollution myself.

Explanation:
Inventory "A" is a standard adventure creator one,
Invenory "B"  is only ment for visions and is on the bottom of the screen:
My system uses cathegories for each inventory items to be displayed in propper place
(A inventory uses "normal" category items, and B uses "visions"):
Just after opening invs all works fine.
Problem is when you move any item in inventory "A":
After doing that Inentory "B" starts to count empty spaces form inventory A and is adding them into account.It messes stuff also opposed way inv B is messing with spaces in inv A when more items appear in B. (why is that hapenig if the 2 inventorys have separate categories?).
Gif example:

Comments

• I'm afraid I'm not too clear on what's going on in the video - what's in the lower-right corner?  Also, what are your full Inventory settings in the Settings Manager.

Your AC version is very old - and many inventory-related bugs have been fixed since then.  In a duplicate/backup project, please update to the latest release and see if the bug is gone.
  • Thanks, I will try to update and see if this is fixed.
    Important question about udate (we are 3 people working on this project via Unity Collab system).
    Will unity collab system update other 2 guys versions of Adventure Creator automatically after I do or should they update AC separately to the new version ?

• edited November 2017
    About question on lower-right corner:
    -those are inventory buttons (those open invientory "A" and "B" sepearetly)
  • That would depend on whether or not your AdventureCreator subfolder is set up to be included in the sharing.  If not, they will have to update separately.  However, while determining if the issue resolved in the latest release, I would again recommend testing in a backup project so that it doesn't interfere with your main project.
  • Hi,
    Thanks yep I did this on backup laptop, same verison of unity, same files, I have instaled newest version of Adventure Creator but the problem remains the same.
    Here are images of full properties of booth inventorys :
    (Those screenshots are from old AC version but the problem remains the same, so version is not important I guess).

Inventory"A":

Inventory "B":

Animated Gif (again the same one):

Explanation of gif:
    Inv"A" has 13 slots and 3 objects inside
    Inv"B" has 1 slot and 1 object inside
    (so far all is okay)
    PROBLEM:
    When I move item in inv "A" few places to right there is a blank space generated in this inventory (this is still okay)
    BUT:
    as you can notice there also some blank spaces apearing in inv "B" (arrows are apearing and I can shift left and right in inv "B" This is in my oppinion due to some bug becouse revert thing is possible as well in inv"A". When I find more items for inv "B" the inv "A" is messed a lot becouse blank spaces are generated there as well :/

Any ideas ?
    Did I messed something or is this a bug in AC ?

• Could well be a bug, but I'll have to look into it further.  Thanks for the screenshots - I'll let you know if I need any more information.
  • Great thanks a lot ! (I will be checking this forum on daily basis if you have any requests on info for that subject) ;)
  • BTW it's for upcoming game Earthworms - It's coming along quite nicely (thanks to AC hugely) ;]
  • No worries - I found the issue.

It's actually an incredibly complex problem.  I'll be able to fix the "empty slots" being added on in front of the bottom inventory, but you'll also need to make sure that any items that appear there (the 2nd of the 3 categories) are all listed at the top of your Inventory Manager.

This can be done without affecting your Actions etc, but will be a necessary step to complete the fix once the update is out.
  • Great news ;)
    I can do what you are descrybing no problem.

And what about "A" inventory (upper one)?
    There seems to be reverse problem as well with "A" inventory 
    (but I did not included it in explanatory Gif).

If neccessary I will ad some example vid for "A" (Upper one) as well. 

If this will be fixed as well than great ;)
    If not than I hope we can figure it out together 
    (gues it may be more common technique to use 2 inventorys in other people pojects as well ).

• Yes, you're going to have to show that as well.

Is there a need for the bottom to strictly be an inventory?  Bear in mind that the Inventory: Select Action can be used to manually select items, so its possible that you could "fake" an inventory bar by using Button elements if you knew exactly what exactly was going to be listed there.
  • edited November 2017
    There are some strange issues with inventory "A" To be honest... those problems was present even before adding inventory "B"
    Here is a minute of gameplay (even during this short amunt of gameplay there is some strange bug):
    it starts at about 0:40

Bassically what happens in vid is:
    1.at the start I have 3 items 
    2.Im moving item 3 by 2 places to the right 
    3.Im picking up letter "G" (item) from level
    4.Im using letter "G" on Bartender (it is out - so far ok becouse letter should be removed)
    5.Im picking up key from level (so far good becouse key is going into 1st empty slot)(BUT SOEMTIMES IT GOES NOT INTO 1ST EMPTY SLOT BUT INTO FIRST AFTER MOVED OBJECT [LASER PISTOL] I HAD 2 PLAYTHROUGHS LIKE THAT AND LATER WAS UNABLE TO RECREATE FOR THIS VID... :/ (so behaviour of inventory is totally random)
    6.But instead in this vid something diferent is happening (after key goes into right place) when I try to move key to the right it is somehow linked with laser pistol... ? totally dont know why...(only later on by moving key to the left seems to make this bug dissapear)

One more thing anbout random behaviour of inv:
    ONCE TODAY I even had 1 picked item vanished from inventory (it should appear inside after picking it but there was nothing in invenotory - this was during one of playthroughs, during next one the same item was appearing normally).

As you may imagine this causes a lot of mess in inventory (only upper one this time) and it is not even linked with this previous "A" / "B"problem...

P.S - sorry for big letters im not angry only using them for easier readybility, and to point out strange piece of behaviour

• I certainly hope all those who write with capitals do it for the same reason!

It is, however, still related to limiting your re-orderable inventory by category.

Do the issues occur if the player is no longer carrying items from category 2 (i.e. the one that doesn't show in the above inventory)?
  • Yep for some reason this is present when no category 2 object is owned by player yet (I guess those problems was present even before I implemepnted this 2 nd inventory into game, but maybe some other categories was creed already cant remind exactly now).
  • edited November 2017
    Can't recreate it this time.  It should be dependent on having other categories, and may be related to the inventory order still.

Try creating another Menu in the middle that doesn't limit by category, for display only.  See if you can use that to work out what's going on - that will show the full inventory, whereas the top/bottom ones only show part of it.  It may be that this was related to the previous bug which I've now fixed.
  • Okay I will try to do that soon, after that will let you know on results.
  • Okay, 
    So here is 3rd test inventory (no category for items), properties:
    Here is recording of gameplay (as you can see the same exact thing is happenig as on 1st video).
    Also you can notice that something like "empty objects"/ "spaces" are created and counted in inventory system (more to the end of this video):

• As this is essentially the same issue, I'm still not able to reproduce it.

What would be best is for you to create a new scene that contains all of the relevant sequences in a line (e.g. a starting inventory, a letter to pick up, a Hotspot to remove it, etc).  Then, once you've confirmed that the same behavour occurs in this simple scene (no background graphics etc necessary), create a .unitypackage file of the scene file + your Manager assets / UI graphics *only*, and then PM it to me so that I can see this for myself.
  • edited November 2017
    I was able to recreate this! 
    It is scene switch dependent.
    When actions are performed on 1 scene it's okay. 
    But if you are making things exactly like on this video:

1.open inventory and move one of "normal" category objects to he right 
    2.pick up letter (also "normal" category)
    3.SWITCH SCENES
    4.action that removes letter from inventory
    5.pick up key (also "normal category")
    6 try to move key to the right and it is linked with object from step 1

Please let me know it that helps, if not that I will PM you with this .unitypackage file.
    I never did that package so it's not ready yet- but maybe it will not be needed ? ;)

• Yes, it's the scene change that's causing it - apologies for not picking that up.

Thanks, I'll look into it.