Forum rules - please read before posting.

Speech Text Scroll Audio Issue

Small thing, but when I assign a sound to play when speech text scrolls, nothing seems to play. I assume this happens when the characters talk and text types onto screen. However, it doesn't seem to work correctly. Even when I disable play audio on every letter. Any way to fix this?

Comments

• Have you defined a Default Sound prefab for your scene?  UI sounds are played via this.
  • edited March 2018
    Yeah, I've dragged in the Sound prefab. Do only certain sound work? Of a certain length? Or is it not meant for character dialogue?
  • Are you assigning a global AudioClip in the Speech Manager, or a per-character one in your character Inspectors?

Unless you check Play audio on every letter? in the Speech Manager, then it'll only play when the current sound has finished - so a sound 0.5s long will only play twice a second.  Checking that option should change that, however.

Are you getting a Console warning about it?  If not, it'll have found the correct Sound prefab and should be playing it.  And your SFX volume is up?  Which version of Unity are you using?
  • Didn't assign a default sound prefab. Wasn't aware that needed to be done. Works now!
  • One problem is that is seems the SFX only plays once every scene if I uncheck play on every letter. So it plays fine for the first dialogue, but is silent the rest of the time I interact in the scene.
  • Have you modified the Sound object in your scene?

When that option is unchecked, the audio should play so long as the previous time has completed.  How long is the AudioClip you're trying to play?
  • No modifications. The audioclip is around 4 seconds I believe.
  • Again, are you assigning a global AudioClip in the Speech Manager, or a per-character one in your character Inspectors?
  • A global audio clip
  • edited April 2018
    4 seconds is very long for a scroll sound - bear in mind that without that option checked, that means you'll only hear it played in full every 4 seconds, which often isn't appropriate for this case since it'll often continue after the scrolling has completed.

Is your game paused at the time?  Are any other UI sounds trying to play in the same Default Sound prefab?

If you would like me to look for myself, PM only the Manager assets, the AudioClip in question, and a test scene (no graphics) with some speech playing in its OnStart Cutscene.  Exporting these files to a .unitypackage file will allow them to be imported into a fresh project on my end.
  • It actually seems like the sound was too long. Trying shorter sounds does the trick.