Forum rules - please read before posting.

A few questions...

Just have a few questions that I'm unsure about.

For different animations that aren't 'the standard', such as walk, talk, pick up etc. how would these be implemented to work? For example, I'm thinking of adding an animation/puzzle that involves my character trying to reach a key on top of their bookshelf where she'll try to reach it and flex her arm, hand and fingers. Or maybe a door opening/closing animation? How would these be done? Would these only work if they were used in a cutscene?

As for the GUI - look at, pick up, talk to icons - can animated icons be used? For instance, I may add a blinking eye icon for the 'look at' option/cursor. If they can be added, can you use a gif file or would they have to be a series of PNG images like character animation frames?

Also, how do you add and customise your own menu - save, load, quit etc.?

Thanks

Comments

• how would these be implemented to work?
    How animations are played will be determined upon your character's animation engine - what are you using?  Generally, though, the Character: Animate Action can be used to play non-standard animations.  I'm not sure of the difference between your description of a "pick up" vs a "reach up" animation - the finger flexing would all be part of the animation file, and AC is just playing it back.

Generally you have much more control over animation if you're using the Mecanim option for 3D characters, since it's then all parameter-based and AC won't try to "force" idle/walk/talk animations if the current animation state doesn't transition to them.  In such cases, you don't need to be in a Cutscene for the Player to continue a custom animation - but you may need to disable movement / interactivity while it completes so that you can't intefere with it.  This can be done with the Engine: Manage systems Action.

Sometimes, you may find that you need to do non-standard things like temporarily enable/disable Root motion while a particular animation plays.  This can all be done with simple scripts, that can be called upon as part of your ActionList.

• Can animated icons be used?
    Animated cursor icons are possible if all the animation frames are contained within a single texture.  Check Animate? beneath an icon in the Cursor Manager, and you'll be able to define animation frames / speed values etc.  How they're used exactly will be dependent upon your chosen Interaction method in the Settings Manager, but an example use of animated icons can be found in the "Walking Dead template" on the Downloads page.

• Also, how do you add and customise your own menu - save, load, quit etc.?
    All menus can be customised within the Menu Manager.  AC comes with a default set that include Save/Load etc, but they can all be removed / modified / replaced as you require.  If a Menu's Source property is set to Adventure Creator, then it's appearance is controlled entirely within the Menu Manager - and you can preview them within the Game window while in Edit mode.  For greater customisation control, however, it's recommended to rely on Unity UI, so that you can style your Menu with Unity's own UI system, and then connect each element to AC.

See the "Menus" chapter of the Manual for a full guide to the various options available, as well as a series of menu-based tutorials here.