Forum rules - please read before posting.

Question about touch screen behaviour

I'm trying to port my desktop project to ipad and all is mostly smooth, but I still have some issues with the touch screen behaviour.

If I select touch screen as input I can create a custom input for movement arrows, interact and pause buttons.

But I need the hotspot name to appear on proximity, like on the desktop version, but this doesn't seem to happen when touch screen is selected.

Instead I need to touch the hotspot first to see the name and then tap again.
If I disable "activate hotspot with double tap" instead, my tapping on an icon is perceived as an interaction, so I will pretty much get tuck on the first hotspot I interact with.

I tried using "mouse and keyboard' and that seems to work with the input buttons, BUT as above, tapping on the movement buttons is registered as tapping, I still get stuck on a hotspot loop.

Any suggestion?

Comments

• I'm not clear on how your game plays on desktop - what is your control scheme both for movement and interacting with Hotspots?

This wiki script may be relevant:
  • On desktop my control scheme is "direct" with controller/keyboard so I have the 4 directional arrows to move the character, once the character enters a hotspot, the name of the hotspot appears and InteractionA will trigger an event/dialogue.
    I'm trying to replicate the same behaviour on touch.

I've read about that script, but I need to show the hotspot label only of the currently entered hotspot.
  • OK - but what's your "Hotspot detection method"?  "Player Vicinity"?  It'd probably be easiest to just see a screenshot of your full Settings Manager.

The wiki script allows for simultaneous labels, but can equally work with just one.  Does the Hotspot highlight effect kick in when the player enters it?  (If you're not using the Highlight component, temporarily add one to test with)
  • Thanks for the super quick reply, will try the script tonight/tomorrow.
    The detection method is player vicinity, see screenshot.

• The screenshot is not complete - it cuts off before we can see the complete "Hotspot settings".  However, I'll assume you've got Hotspots in vicinity set to Nearest Only.

Please also answer my question - the Highlight effect should kick in even if the label doesn't appear, and its this effect that the wiki script will hook into.  Again, this effect need not be used in the game proper - we just need to test things for the moment.

The script does work for me in this scenario and does cause the Hotspot label to appear as it should.  I have now simplified the wiki script to remove the need to manually assign the custom events in the Highlight component.  Please give it another try, and post full screenshots of your Hotspot Inspector and Hotspot Menu if it continues to have problems.  Please also post your full Settings Manager, as well as let me know your exact AC and Unity versions.
  • Appreciate your support, will try to nail this over the weekend.