Forum rules - please read before posting.

Checking value of input box text

I'm using a menu to allow input of numerals only, and I have a button that on-click I'd like to check and see if the values match predetermined numbers (it's a combination lock). However, I'm only seeing options to set input values, not read what is stored in them. Am I missing an available option, or is this something that is not built into the asset currently?

Thanks!

Comments

• The "built-in" workflow is to first set the input box's contents to a Global String Variable with the Variable: Set Action, so that it's value can be compared with the Variable: Check Action.

Through script, you can read the contents directly:

string contents = (PlayerMenus.GetElementWithName ("MyMenu", "MyInput") as MenuInput).GetContents ();

• @ChrisIceBox Looking at the Variable: Set action, I'm assuming I would have to use a formula, but I'm unsure of how to call the menu's input box element so as to store it in a variable. Or is there another way I'm not thinking of to capture the input box text into a variable?

• See how it's done in this tutorial. If your variable is a String, then you'll get the option to set its value from an Input box element. Though your Input box is limited to numerics, its contents are still considered a String, and not an Integer.

• Thanks, I didn't think about using strings instead of ints!