Forum rules - please read before posting.

some basic questions

Aloha, im in the process of choosing a new system for my project, ive been using unity for many years and would like a cohiesive system that incorporates most aspects of game design, AC looks very promising but I have a few questions... Thanks in advance for any and all responses....

1: im using Synty assets primarialy, are there any problems with using them? ie. character controler 3rd person and animations. as im making a 3d adventure game I need to know if the synty riging would be any problem...?
2: does this use unitys "new" input system? ive runn into problems with the new system with menues and such. as this will be a gamepad controller game and developing first off with the xbox controller, are there any problems or such I need to be aware of?
3: 3d character controler and 3d sceans, ill be doing typical 3d camera follow when wondering around, when in an "interactive" scene ie room with interactable puzzles, is there any problem(s) i should be aware of?
4: switching to a "viechle" driving situation... ill be using the ultimate car controler asset that alows switching or over riding a charcater controller to its specific car controler when entering/exiting a viehicle.... any problems with this?
5: inventory and save systems... they are integrated, again any problems u can see with synty or the 3rd person controller?
6: dialouge and voice files, lip sysncing, ive currentlly using "look whos talking" a simple facial animation too, can somthing like this be used along with the dialogue in AC...

again thanks for any and all responses... im excited to start using a cohiesive asset like this. ive been building may projects before and had to build most all aspects of game design, this time around I just want it all to be easire.... espicialy the input system and such.......

Dr Cyclops 3D..... you can see some of my stuff on FB..... https://www.facebook.com/RMolina3d

Comments

• working my way through the 3 hour tutorial dated 2018... is there a more current tutorial??

• for the U-OCC integration addon... can I just get the 3rd person controller. or do I need the FULL U-OCC package is im only going to use the 3rd person aspect???

• edited April 2022

Welcome to the community, @DrCyclops3D.

im using Synty assets primarialy, are there any problems with using them? ie. character controler 3rd person and animations. as im making a 3d adventure game I need to know if the synty riging would be any problem...?

AC relies on Unity's animation and rendering system - so long as your characters are animated using the Animator component, you should be just fine.

A tutorial on working with 3D models and animations to create characters can be found here.

AC has its own third-person controller - if you want to make use of another, you will need to rely on an integration script to bridge the two together. I go into detail regarding AC's UCC integration further down, but the AC Manual's "Custom motion controllers" chapter covers things more broadly, while a number of other controller integrations can be found on the AC wiki here.

does this use unitys "new" input system? ive runn into problems with the new system with menues and such. as this will be a gamepad controller game and developing first off with the xbox controller, are there any problems or such I need to be aware of?

AC itself relies on Unity's built-in Input system - not the New Input system available as a package. However, you can rely on the latter if you wish - but it requires use of an add-on script to bridge the two together, available here.

If you want to make use of a separate asset for your Player controller, though, then that will also need to rely on the same input system.

3d character controler and 3d sceans, ill be doing typical 3d camera follow when wondering around, when in an "interactive" scene ie room with interactable puzzles, is there any problem(s) i should be aware of?

If you'd like to share more on your intended gameplay I can elaborate further, but AC's "GameCamera Third Person" camera type provides a traditional "over-the-shoulder" camera control.

You can switch to another camera at any time, though - so if you need a separate camera for a close-up on a puzzle, for example, you can. This kind of behaviour is covered at this point in the 3D tutorial.

switching to a "viechle" driving situation... ill be using the ultimate car controler asset that alows switching or over riding a charcater controller to its specific car controler when entering/exiting a viehicle.... any problems with this?

To be clear: are you referring to Ultimate Character Controller's car-driving features, or a dedicated vehicle asset?

Independently-developed Unity assets - particularly those that affect the same aspect of a game, such as Player control - require additional scripting to "bridge" the two together so that they work in-sync. In the case of UCC, AC provides an integration package over on the Downloads page.

However, given the wide possibilities that such a combination of assets provides, it's not possible to have a "one size fits all" approach here - and it will be necessary to write additional code that's specific to your project and its needs. The integration package is designed to offer a "stable base" that allows a UCC character to be in control, while having AC be able to take control during cutscenes and menus.

You may well find that UCC and AC appear to work OK - driving included - at a glance. As you get into the fine-details, though, it will be necessary to be knowledgable of scripting - and how both assets work independently to get the exact behaviour you're looking for. The integration's Readme file covers how it works, and the AC Manual's "Integrating other gameplay" chapter covers the main principles involved in working with other assets, but I would recommend first getting familiar with AC "on its own" before incorporating another complex asset into the mix.

inventory and save systems... they are integrated, again any problems u can see with synty or the 3rd person controller?

If by "synty" you're still referring to character/environment art, then I don't see any issue. The Inventory and Save systems are independent of your game's art.

When it comes to non-AC 3rd person controllers, my above answer regarding integration scripts still applies. The UCC integration package will save the Player's location, but still uses AC for its inventory handling. If you need additional data to be saved, you can do so with custom scripting - see these tutorials:

dialouge and voice files, lip sysncing, ive currentlly using "look whos talking" a simple facial animation too, can somthing like this be used along with the dialogue in AC...

Look Who's Talking has its own integration for AC, but I would recommend you contact its developer for details on this. AC itself has its own lipsyncing capabilities - a related tutorial can be found here.

working my way through the 3 hour tutorial dated 2018... is there a more current tutorial??

If you're referring to the "Making a 3D game" tutorial /tutorials/making-3d-game, it's still valid with newer AC and Unity releases. The interface has been smartened since, but the workflow principles covered still apply.

For the most up-to-date tutorials, see the text tutorials available here.

for the U-OCC integration addon... can I just get the 3rd person controller. or do I need the FULL U-OCC package is im only going to use the 3rd person aspect???

The integration was written using UCC, but the creator of UCC informs me that the codebase is shared by its Third Person Controller, so it should work with that as well.

• THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking the time to reply..... and wow in detail... im looking forwards to using this asset. i have to re-wrap my brain around making small scenes instead od the RPG mindset ive had. I went through the 3-hour tutorial and followed it pretty well, very logical and such. my only glitch is converting to a gamepad for control.. anyway. thank again for making the asset and responding....

• having a hellz of a time just starting.... i started with an empty scene, went through the beginning steps to just add a navmesh to a plane... added a capsule and couldnt get that to move to save my life with the character wizard.... no idea whats happening or why its not moving... tryied adding unitys 3rd person controller, yea it moves. but cant use it cuz i want it all to be compatable with ACs controlers and such... been working with this for several hours now, no progress... any suggestions? tried using the old 3d demo of the lazerroom... cant add navmesh to room for some reason... all in all stuck.. using unity 2021.2 im not a novice but stuck here....

• sent you an email... im dead in the water here....

• Im slowly chewing through it, 3rd person isnt working fully but hacked somthing thats working enough to to continue, ill post when ive completed a solution.... sorry if i seemed wacked a bit, took hours to see how the controls were working w AC... im at least at a point where i can work through other sections of AC and start building, ill fix the controls later.....

• my only glitch is converting to a gamepad for control.. anyway.

For gamepad-only control, set the Input method in the Settings Manager to Keyboard Or Controller. An overview of the inputs required by this option can be found in the Manual's "Keyboard Or Controller input" chapter.

3rd person isnt working fully but hacked somthing thats working enough to to continue, ill post when ive completed a solution

It certainly shouldn't be necessary to "hack" anything together to get basic 3rd-person control working. See if my email reply is of help - you're welcome to share images here related to any issues you may be having.

• thank you again for your help and email... progress made after chasing too elaborate solutions,, i always forget K.I.S.S ;) tomarrow wi;; be finishing up the 3hout lazer room with my character and asset conversions. so should have a clearer understanding of how the character fits into the over AC program.. i was wasting alota time with integration scripts and stuff. so refocused and excited to build my DOTT homage ;)